1/22/13

1-22

Kalista got a powwow drum for Christmas.  It is her favorite thing in the world right now.  For a few years we have had a Tiako drum on loan from my friend Joan.  K played it everyday.  Sadly, Joan moved this year and so did the drum.  When Joan left with the drum K cried and chased her down the driveway saying "Please please".  I simply broke my heart for her.  It was the first time she had ever (wanted) anything.  Also the first time there was nothing I could do but comfort her. 

So I got on the internet to find a nice new drum only to find out that real tiako drums cost over $3000!  That is a little out of my range.  Finally I did find a place that sold the big pow wow drums.  My Mom and Dad wanted to help and ended up getting the drum for Kalista's Christmas.






This is my favorite picture!  I love the look on her face just at the moment that she realized what was in the box.  It still makes me have a few happy tears when I look at it.

She couldn't even wait till we got it out of the box to play with it!


I love how happy she is about it!  She as almost as excited about the drum beater.

So, the other night I was up with Kalista.  It was around 3am.  She sat next to her drum and I could tell she really wanted to play it.  I don't let her play it at night because it is SOOO loud.  (that why it is so fun)  She put her hand on it..  tapped her fingers lightly and gave me the biggest smile.  I thought I was going to have to intervene for a minute.  She surprised me by having this conversation with herself. (out loud!)   "Boom Boom!... heee hee.  BoooM Boom!  No no no.....  Daddy sleep.  Daddy sleep!  Shhhhhh...... Quiet."

It was so cool to watch her figure it out by herself.  Even more than that, I was so proud of her for putting the needs of someone else first.  That is one Giant step for an Angel.    Good job sweet girl!


No comments: